New Life International School's website has been moved. Please go to
American and internationally recognized texts used in all grades
K through 6th Grade Subjects
- Students in grades K - 2 learn to read and write through a wide variety of reading texts, writing assignments, handwriting exercises, and a daily phonic focus. "Daily 5" which was first created in New Zealand and has taken over America and schools all over the world is used in all our classes. This is a program that truly motivates the children to be very good readers, writers, and spellers.
- Students in grades 3-6 apply what they read and use strategies to comprehend, analyze, and synthesize the material read. Reading will include novels, and short stories. The stories will include the genres of biographies, historical fiction, realistic fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and informational texts. They will write essays to inform, to entertain, to describe, and to persuade. Daily 5 is used as well.
- Singapore Math is one of the top-tested math texts available. It emphasizes problem solving and mental math.
- M-Th/Chapel on Friday We learn Bible stories and Bible verses and how to apply the lessons of forgiveness, love, honoring our parents, and perseverance to our lives.
Science and Health
- American textbooks, STEM projects and experiments, science fair from 3rd grade and up every February.
- American textbooks, hands-on projects, research, and presentations with a special focus on Japanese history and culture in all grades.
- Sports, exercises, 2 times a week for grades 1 and up
- Daily recess at local park or school grounds; Kindergarten have 2 recesses daily
- From Grades 2 and up computers are used almost daily by most students to look up information, do research, play learning games, take tests, and listen and read online books.
- Typing is taught to grade 4 and above. We have one computer for every 2 students.
- Art and Music are taught several times a week (handbells in grades 3 & 4, Recorder is taught to grade 5 and 6)
- Native Japanese, experienced teachers teach 4 times a week. Each grade masters their grade level Kanji through testing and review. Kokugo text is used and several Kanji practice workbooks.
Special Activities Throughout the Year
- 3 Class Parties, 2 Field Trips, 3+ Special Theme Days, Special speakers throughout the year, Science Fair for grades 3 and up, and 3 special presentations (dramas, concerts, speeches) from our students yearly!
Junior High Curriculum, Grade 7-9
- The emphasis in junior high school is in developing writing and thinking skills with a focus on vocabulary and building strong grammar knowledge. Students study important editing and revision techniques and practice writing and revision. Literary terms are taught appropriate to the study of the short story, novel, and poetry. Through reading literature from various genres, students are stretched even further in their comprehension and analysis of literature. Special focuses are on the short stories of O'Henry and other authors, at least one novel study, and a nonfiction study every year.
- Study the government, history, and geography in EasternAsia.
- Singapore textbooks are used for grades 7 & 8. These focus on pre-algebra, and geometry.
- Students study and have discussions on the Bible, and learn Bible history and geography. Chapel on Fridays.
- Native Japanese, highly trained and experienced teachers teach and help students to master their grade level kanji through testing and review. The national Japanese textbook, Kokugo, is used with several kanji practice workbooks. Japanese classes are 4 times a week.
- Students study earth, life, and physical science using American texts, powerpoint presentations, and labs. Students will do a group science project and present it to the school in February.
- Students do Google drive lessons, create accounts, manage documents, make spreadsheets, presentations, and surveys.
- Sports, exercise fitness, twice weekly
- Students enjoy a daily recess playing soccer, basketball, and other activities.
Visual Arts, Drama, & Music
Students will focus on visual arts. They will learn about color, pattern, repetition, line, shape, emphasis, balance, value, rhythm, variety, unity, texture, and form through a variety of projects using graphite, acrylic paint, oil pastels, and wood and Paper Mache sculptures.
Once a week, students will also practice singing songs as a choir. Students will also do a drama for our Christmas program and lead several school assemblies.
- Students are taught kitchen skills with cooking half of the year and sewing the other half.
After School English Classes
Depending on the student's level, there are English classes for extra support for students from 3:15-4:00 on Mondays for grades 1 and 2 and Tuesdays for grades 3 through 6th. 800 yen per class
All subjects in this school are taught in English except for our daily Japanese class.
Standardized testing is done all year from grades K-8.
We are members of the Association of Christian Schools International. ACSI serves more than 5.5 million students worldwide and is recognized by the Japanese government.
. New Life International School (NLIS) is affiliated with Christian Academy of Japan in Tokyo. CAJ is an accredited international school with over 60 years of experience.
We are working toward accreditation with Western Association of Schools and Colleges at this moment!